During the Napoleonic wars (1789-1802) Lichfield was a centre for French prisoners of war. The prisoners were mostly officers and Lichfield was considered a safe location as it was far from the sea. Some officers are said to have been stationed in Pipe Hill House.
The French officers were placed on parole and gave their word of honour they would not try to escape. They returned home after the war had ended in 1802.
Over the years Pipe Hill House has been the property of just eight owners. Today Pipe Hill House is a listed building which we acquired in 2005 and are restoring with care.
|YEARS||PERIOD IN BRITISH HISTORY||OWNERS|
|1588 – 1721||Tudors and Stuarts||Land acquired by Nicholas Bull.|
|1721 – 1725||Georgian||Bought by Harvey Green, Lichfield.|
|1725 – 1900||Georgian RegencyVictorian||Estate sold by John Hartwell (nephew of Harvey Green) to Randle Bradburne, a Birmingham Ironmonger. It is likely that the current house was built by Bradburne.|
|1912-1936||Early 20th Century||Faussett-Osborne family.|
|1936-1943||Early 20th Century||James John Smith.|
|1943-1956||Modern||Burton family. Leslie James Burton, an engineer, bought Pipe Hill House when he moved his family to the Midlands. He invented the rotavator and The Archers actress, Anne Cullen (who took the part of Carol Grey in 1955) was engaged for a commercial film at Pipe Hill House, on behalf of Cliffords, who were building his rotavator design.|
|1956-2005||Modern||Elmy family. Mr Elmy was the first person in the area to sell refrigerators which was a great novelty at the time.|
|2005||Modern||Bought by Annmarie and Nick Misselke. Started a major renovation programme. Converted the outbuildings into living accommodation, adding heating, bathrooms and a kitchen to Pipe Hill House.|